Thursday, October 16, 2008

Baby Update

Husband and I went to the baby doctor today and had our 35-week ultrasound. Here's our little man just waking up from a nap. He's starting to look like my side of the family. What chubby little cheeks!



He's a little on the small side but nothing alarming. I'll go in for tests next week to measure his movement. I don't know why they need to test anything--this child moves all the time! If I walk, he sticks out his left foot to, presumably, brace himself. If I'm sitting, he pokes out his butt. Tonight he was doing all sorts of crazy things with his hands. For a while there it felt like he was practicing his boxing technique!

I actually had a contraction right there in the doctor's office. As I started to lay back on the examination table, my pelvic area was suddenly seized with a tremendous pain. I thought it was a muscle cramp. "Just a sec," I told the doctor, "I'm getting a cramp but it's passing."

"Actually, you're having a contraction," the doctor told me, "I can see it when I look at your stomach."

He wasn't alarmed so I decided not to be alarmed either. The contraction gradually passed but geez--those things hurt like a mofo! I was actually dizzy and disoriented for a few seconds afterward. If that's what a mild one feels like, I'm not sure how I'd handle the severe ones!

Our baby doctor then went on to describe what Braxton Hicks contractions feel like. "Like mild menstrual cramps," he told us.

"Oh...like I was having on Sunday night." I looked to Husband for affirmation. He nodded. So I'd experienced the famous Braxton Hicks and didn't even know it.

What's next? My water breaks and I just blow that off too?

5 comments:

L said...

That is one REALLY good picture!

K said...

So then, what exactly is a Braxton Hicks contraction?

K said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't look at the photo closely.

That is a great shot! Wow!

It almost.. almost makes my ovaries ache for another one...

Katie said...

That is a really good picture! Actually, I have a friend whose water broke 2 weeks before her due date when she was walking in the mall. She thought that she peed on herself just a little bit, kept shopping and then went out to eat. At dinner, more came out and she realized what it was.... at least she had a great last meal!

kay said...

how exciting!!!!!!!!