Thursday, January 31, 2008

So...yeah....when you say "simmer", what temperature is that exactly?

I strapped on my roller skates and hauled tail around the Veloway for an hour this afternoon. Bad idea when it's Cedar Fever season. I'm going to go to bed soon, but not before I share my dinner success with everyone.

Some of you have heard me mention 'Scrambled Dogs' in passing. Probably I've mentioned them too many times. Regardless, Scrambled Dogs is a dish I saw when visiting a client in Columbus, GA. I never actually tried this dish--I just liked the name and became obsessed with them. I kept threatening to make them, but never did. "Scrambled Dogs, Scrambled Dogs!" I'd declare at gatherings. "I'm going to make Scrambled Dogs for our Super Bowl party!"

In light of the fact that the Super Bowl is a mere three days away, it ocurred to me tonight that I'd better find a way to make Scrambled Dogs or I was going to lose face!

Here's what I subjected Husband to this evening (you will see that Tots are a staple in this house):

Okay, upon looking at this picture on an actual computer (as opposed to my phone) I can admit that 'Scrambled Dogs' look disgusting.

But they're not! They're delicious and Husband declared so over and over! He cleaned his plate in, like, three minutes and that means he loved them!

Here's how I they're made (unofficially. Remember, I've never actually had them before):

How to make a Scrambled Dog--the best dish of your life

For the Chili:
1 pound ground chuck
1/3 pound hot Italian sausage, casing removed
1 large yellow onion, chopped (set aside ¼ of this onion for garnish)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
2 (14-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped
1 (16-ounce) cans kidney beans

For the hot dogs:
4 hot dogs (I used Ball Park Franks Grillmaster Smokehouse Franks which I highly recommend)
4 hot dog buns
1 tablespoon of melted butter
1 cup sharp grated Cheddar

Using a Dutch oven, combine the ground chuck, sausage, onions, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the meat is browned, stirring the meat to break it up as it cooks. Drain the pan drippings. Stir in the chili powder, flour, sugar, oregano, cumin, mustard and salt, and stir well. Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (this is where I got confused. I mean, how exactly do you simmer meat!?). Add the tomatoes and beans, and simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes.

Preheat a grill to med-high. Brush the hotdogs and the inside of the bun with the melted butter. Grill the hot dogs until they char, approximately 7 minutes. Place the buns on the grill for approximately 1 minute to toast them. Once removed from the grill, slice up the hotdogs and the buns width-wise. Lay the bun across your plate as if it were still intact. Place hotdog slices over the bun. Ladle chili over the whole mess and top with cheese and the onion that you set aside.

You can make them yourself *or* you can come over this Sunday and I will make them for you!

9 comments:

kay said...

oh. my. gosh. my hubby will be over on sunday.

personally i don't think i could eat it. just too much stuff. but definitely a guys kidna dish.

Femme au Foyer said...

Yep, you're exactly right--this is a guy's kind of dish. In fact, it was a big guy who I originally saw eating this in Columbus. Go figure.

In fact, I'd better be careful or I might start looking like him!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the fact that you have tots on hand for any dish!!! I stinkin' love tots, I need to fill my freezer chest with nothing but big sam's bags - o - tots! :) And now, I know what I'm gettin you for xmas!

Great job girl!!!

Femme au Foyer said...

I stinkin' lov Tots too! We need a Tots club!

Hey, have you ever had the Tots at Sonic? Holy cow they're good!

I'm trying to come up with a way to serve Tots at our Super Bowl Party and keep them warm...

Katie said...

You should have a Tots bar. Like, have the Tots, then maybe some queso, jalapenos, bacon, and all sorts of different toppings. Kind of like a nacho bar, but with Tots! As for a way to keep them warm and crispy... hmm... interesting... I'll keep thinking about that one!

Femme au Foyer said...

Yeast! maybe we need to sprinkle them with yeast! You know how toast get's even harder as it grows cold? My theory is that Tots get mushier because they don't have any yeast in them like bread does. Yeast, my friends, that's the ticket.

K said...

I was quite partial to tater tots in school. In fact, next to pizza, they were my favorite. Obviously, I, unlike many of you, have no loyalty, as I have not had one in many moons.

But, I do recall liking them despite the fact that no one seemed concerned about whether they were warm or not!

blog author said...

could you make crock pot tots? would they stay warm in there? i love katie's tots bar idea!!
i wish i didnt have to miss your party today. i'm gonna be in a cabana on the beach watching it with a bunch of friends, so i guess that'll be ok :)
miss you!

Anonymous said...

Keep working ,great job!