Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Guess what? I'm watching you too and he listens to me.

Now that I have no professional career of my own, I have all sorts of time to insert myself into my husband's career. This week we are in Palm Springs participating in Demo 08 Live (www.demo.com). Demo 08 Live is a two-day conference whereupon 77 entrepreneurial companies have six minutes each to demonstrate their new product innovations. I managed to convince my husband that it was a good idea for me to sit beside him at the conference and give him my opinion on the various demonstrations. Since we are both technical people with divergent interests, he readily agreed. As a venture capitalist, he's always on the lookout for the "next big thing"--the next YouTube or MySpace. The fact that he cares about my opinion is flattering. Unfortunately, the $2800 price tag for my ticket made that scenario impossible. So here I sit in our hotel room watching the demonstrations over live streaming video. My husband and I text our thoughts about the various companies and I take notes on those that I intend to test over the next few weeks.

We've seen some really cool social networking sites, new technology from the makers of Leap Frog, some awesome financial planning software and a shopping price comparison service. A lot of this stuff is free in its beta state, so I plan to go through our notes and post some of the coolest services here for you to try as well.

If you read this post in time, you too can watch the demos at www.demo.com.

Let me attempt to tie the title of this post to the content. Because this is a technical conference, the male to female ratio is roughly 200 to 1. If I'm alone, it's a guarantee that I will be hit on. Not because I'm pretty; just because I'm female. Yesterday, a gentleman asked me out right outside our hotel room door as I was searching for my key. When I indicated to him that I am married, his eyes bugged out, he cast a worried glance at our door as if my husband might open it at any moment, and he spun on his heel and left. Today, while at the Starbucks counter, I heard a male voice say, "Well hello! It's you again!" I turned to see a friendly 40-something gentleman smiling at me. I looked at him quizically and he continued. "I saw you last night in the restaurant. You were sitting next to some guy."

"Ahhh, yes. That was my husband." I responded.

"Oh! Your Husband! So, where are you all from? Are you here for the conference?"

"We're from Texas." I replied. "My husband, a venture capitalist is here for the conference and I am watching the demos remotely so that I can help him analyze the products." I briefly turn to pay for my latte.

"I love Texas women!"

Huh? Did I just hear what I thought I heard, or did he just tell me that he loves Texas weather? While I tried to sort this out in my head, he burst into song.

"Allllllll my exes live in Texas!"

Okay, so that settles that--he loves Texas women. Time to go.

The Starbucks exchange illustrates my point: While at this conference I am either looked at or looked through, but never am I looked upon as someone who might have any modicum of influence. And, in the grand scheme of things, I don't, really. But my husband does and he listens to me and I'm paying careful attention to you, so watch what you say and be careful where your eyes stray because a kickin' product coupled with unprofessionalism makes investors nervous.

I'm just sayin'.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What ******* dumba$$ the Starbucks guy is! Did he actually say he saw you sitting next to "some guy"? What a ****!

Also, if these guys need guys like Husband to invest in their products/ideas, why are they charging $2800 to get in?? Sounds like Husband should invest in the company that puts on these demo/cons.

Femme au Foyer said...

Shannon,
I shared your insightful comment with Husband and he agreed with you wholeheartedly. Also, they give severely discounted rates to potential investors like Husband, but not to nobodies like me which furthers my point.

blog author said...

hahaha..."some guy." guess it's good that he didnt say 'some loser' or 'your father' or something worse... seems to me that men at tech conferences often times lose their ability to be appropriately conversational. of course, i have used that in my favor many times to get lots of free tshirts and hats and even an ergonomic keyboard at one web conference.

when i went to QuakeCon in Dallas one year, the ratio of men to women was roughly...well, like 6,000 guys (aka boys) and about 4 women... i had one guy run up to me yell "HEY!" and when i turned around he snapped a picture and ran off. Seriously. it was flattering and totally creepy at the same time.

and to this comment...
"If I'm alone, it's a guarantee that I will be hit on. Not because I'm pretty; just because I'm female."

i say, WHATTEVAH sistah. you know it's bc you're a knockout ;)

Femme au Foyer said...

Ha ha, "your father" ha ha! That would have *really* gotten Husband's goat! As it stands, he's still fuming over the "some guy" comment.

I can't believe your experience at QuakeCon! I wonder what that guy did with the picture?

Actually, no, I don't. I don't want to think about that.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm blushing over here in Palm Springs. :)

K said...

Unfortunately, there is a flipside to these conferences! My husband and our business partner went to a conference in Atlanta several months ago. Their whole premise for going was to network. One decision maker for a potential client was there. She happened to be a woman.

Apparently, each day, when the conference would end she would go back to her room and change into a skimpy outfit. She would also break out the spatula to apply additional makeup. And she would turn into a slut!

I thought my husband was exaggerating when he told me stories. That is until he called me one evening. I could hear her in the background begging my husband to come out with them because the guys she was going with couldn't be trusted!! My husband repeatedly told her no (progressively getting more and more rude) and as he was walking away she tried to pull him back. He made a comment about being on the phone with his wife (who was pregnant at the time - and the bimbo knew it). She could not have cared less.

Femme au Foyer said...

m2k2,

I hadn't thought about the flip side of conferences, but you're right--certainly there are women out there who use them as an opportunity to feel validated. That stinks that the decision maker for your husband's potential client was acting that way. How awkward for him (not to mention how you must have felt on the other end of that phone line). In reflecting on the attendees of those conferences all I can think is, "yuck--who in their right mind would want to pick up on these guys?" Empty, empty existence.

Oh, and I'm not saying that all conference attendees are subpar guys. I'm specifically talking about the ones like Mr. Starbucks who don't seem to care about inconsequential things like, for instance, a wedding band. Or the ones in groups who crane their necks to watch a lone woman as she walks by. Or the guys who hit on the woman reading Newsweek and eating by herself in the hotel restaurant. I've eaten many a meal alone in my hotel room thanks to those guys.

kay said...

i love leap frog stuff!! let me know what they have up their sleeves.

poor mar. can't a guy get it. i'm married doesn't mean "but i'm free to sleep with anyone i want to!"

you make me smile!

Femme au Foyer said...

Kay,

LeapFrog introducd a pen that will talk when you tap it on a word on one of their books. For instance, let's say that Mikey's trying to learn to read. He can take the pen, tap it on the word he desn't know and the pen will sound it out. There's a lot more to the pen, but that's a start. I'll blog about it. There's another cool pen that we saw as well so today will be "pen day". I'll also post links to the demo videos. Cool stuff.