Friday, February 29, 2008

But...aren't you with the campaign???

"Ring ring!"

"Ring ring!"

I always wait a few beats before answering my home phone because a smooth female voice will announce the caller after the second ring.

Oh, and for purposes of accuracy, it's actually "ringringringringringringringring-ringringringringringringringring" (I changed our ring tone to the opening strands of Ave Maria to tease Husband).

"Number not available" the phone tells me. I decide to answer it anyway 'cause I'm tired to talking to the dogs.

"Hello?!" I say all friendly-like.

Dead air. Uh oh--it's the politicians!

"Hello hello!" I say, still friendly.

"Uh..." a male voice stammers, "Hello--is Husband there?"

"No he is not! May I help you?"

"Oh...this is the Barack Obama campaign and we just wanted to talk to him."

"Oh cool! How are you guys doing? Been busy? Oh, hey--will Obama be back to have another rally in Austin?"

Melek and I were just musing about this the other day. I meant to look it up but forgot. How convenient of them to call.

"Um..." my buddy on the other end of the line isn't sure, I can tell. "Yes!" he says with conviction. "Yes he is!".

"Great!"

Pause.

"Er...do you know when?"

"I sure do!" says the man.

Pause.

"Can you tell me when?"

"I sure can! Um...um...can you hold on a minute?"

I briefly consider giving him a hard time over this, but hey, the sun is shining and the birds are singing and it's going to be in the 70's today. No need to disrupt all the happy energy flowing around.

My buddy comes back to the phone. "Okay...yeah...you can get that on his website."

I am mildly dumbfounded which has rendered me speechless for the moment. I mean, if you're going to call and bug me (non-stop, I might add. Our phone rings constantly with these types of calls) at least help a sister out.

My silence gets to him. "Do you know what the website is?" he asks.

"No, I sure don't." I tell him.

"Oh, okay, well it's www.barackobama.com. You can find the information about the rally there."

"Great thanks!" I hang up and immediately go my computer to look up the rally.

There's no rally.

No comments: