Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Me and My Big Head

My darling friends just emailed us the pics from the ski trip and I thought I'd share them with you. Let's start with how I look when I first put on the jacket, shall we? (We're in a giant sled on our way to a mountaintop restaurant.) (That's not my hair, it's fur, but wouldn't it be funny if it were my hair?)




And here's how I look after traveling through a blizzard in a giant sled (note that my jeans are soaked up to my thighs):



If I look like I'm up to something in that picture, it's because I am. I was surreptitiously making a snowball which I then pelted at the photographer. He returned the favor by kicking snow in my face while I was making a snow angel. "You kicked snow in the face of a fallen angel," I declared, "God will punish you for this!"

He wasn't scared.

We went snowmobiling on the last day. It was miserable. I was colder than I'd ever been in my life. That's me, in the black-and-white with my face entirely covered up. I was doing the "Hook 'Em Horns" symbol, in case you couldn't tell (you can't). Something's wrong with an outfit that impedes the "Hook 'Em Horns" symbol. Something's even wronger with a place that forces you to wear an outfit that impedes the "Hook 'Em Horns" symbol. Oh, and my butt was wet from sitting on a snowmobile. Soaked through. Miserable. And, I had to use the restroom but there were only outhouses (and I refused to 'drop trou' and go outside). I had to wait several hours before I had access to a restroom, and it was a port-a-potty. Have you ever tried to avoid touching anything in a port-a-potty while wearing ski clothes? Miserable.



Here's us at the restaurant. We are warm. We are in front of a fire place. Fun, fun, fun!



This is me and my friend at a restaurant in Vail. We are happy because we are warm (and the music was great).



This is me and Husband and my friend after the first day of skiing. I am miserable because I am cold. I am hiding it well. I think, if you know me, you can detect the relief on my face that the day is over.



As the days wore on, my 'after ski' smile was more like a scowl. I think four days is too long in the cold for me. Next time, I'm hitting the slopes after 2 when it's half price. That way I'll only have two hours to ski. Perfect.

I think Husband's perception of me has changed. He nicknamed me "Tiny Whiney" on the trip. My friend's husband nicknamed me, "High Maintenance". Neither of these sound particularly flattering BUT...

...I bet they don't ask me to go skiing again! ;)

5 comments:

kay said...

who is that snow bunny with the really big head? oh wait! that's you! :D

you are beautiful and it looks like you guys had a really good time.

if you really need me to help you with changing the font, i'll be glad to pass on my knowledge. email me

K said...

"Tiny Whiney" That's awesome. In fact, I don't like it.. I love it!

I have to emphatically state-- anyone who isn't a tiny whiney in that situation is ohso nutso!

Who in their right mind thinks freezing their ass off is fun!!??

But kudos to you for the effort.

blog author said...

i think you're a good wifey for sticking it out for 4 days. and i can't imagine you whining....you never whine. altho a soaked thru butt while driving around at however fast a snowmobile goes with snow and ice whipping in your face is total grounds for wineage.

next time someone HAS to go skiing, politely decline, then high tail it over to my house. we'll spend the weekend by the pool, sipping ice cold margaritas (bc it'll be so warm) laughing at the wackos who think snow and cold are fun.

btw, you looked hot in your ski bunny outfit :)

Anonymous said...

In Wa we avoid wearing any cotton when we do outdoor activities because it retains water which means it doesnt dry quickly. Even the crotch of our underwear is suppose to be anything but cotton. I have known ppl who swear up and down a cotton crotch is enough to make some freeze to death in the rain. I think thats a little extreme though.

Nice pics! You look great!

Femme au Foyer said...

Thanks, girls, for the kind words and Sis? People who swear things about cotton crotches are crazy. I mean, cah-rae-zee. Who spends any time thinking, let alone arguing about such things?

Crazy people, that's who!