Friday, April 4, 2008

Dreams, Dreams

I'm having those pregnancy dreams you hear about. Vivid, frequent and weird. In fact, I spend a great deal of time sleeping (14 hours yesterday!) which is probably why I'm having these dreams and definitely why I haven't been writing as much.

A few weeks ago I dreamt that I was in a CVS, writing on the mirrors behind the display shelves with black eyeliner. When store personnel caught me and threatened to call the police, my old boss materialized and threw a pair of shiny, silver scissors at my shins. They stuck as if my shins were made of tree bark. It only hurt a little.

Lately I keep dreaming about my son. I know, I know--all you naysayers out there are going to tell me that I'm having a girl but how about, for the sake of kindness, you humor a tired, pregnant woman?

Thank you.

Onto my son. I keep having dreams that I'm this irresponsible, negligent mother. In my dreams I ignore him in favor of, well, everything. For instance, in one dream it was far more important that I blow dry my hair than tend to his cries. In another, I forget all about him as I run out the door to a friend's backyard cookout. Mind you, these dreams don't freak me out; they're just unsettling. Kind of like that dream where you forget to wear pants to your Geometry class.

It's easy to climb aboard my soapbox and declare that I would never forget or neglect my child but watch--I'll be that crazy woman on the news who left the car seat, baby and all, on top of the car as she drove around town.

Sadly, it's 9 am, I've been up for an hour and already I'm worn out. Back to bed...

8 comments:

K said...

Oh man. I don't know if I told you this story or not! Kessler was 4 weeks old. I was loading the kids in the car. It was parked on the street in front of our house and the sprinklers had just been on so the ground near the street was wet. It seemed like a better idea to put Kessler (in his carseat) on the hood of the car, rather than on the drenched ground. I proceeded to strap Makena in the car when I heard the unfamiliar sound of a carseat hitting street/curb. I looked to see the carseat flipped upside down in the gutter. Kessler didn't make a sound until I picked up the carseat and turned it over. I was hysterical! He had a strawberry on this forehead. I couldn't find my keys. I called Mark and said as calmly as I could, "You need to leave work now.. meet me at the hospital. I'll call you back in a few minutes." Poor guy. I finally found my keys and headed out. I called the pediatrician, who told me to come to their office instead of the hospital. I called Mark back and blubbered like a mad women. Again, poor guy. Everything turned out fine, but boy, did I feel like the worst mother ever.

K said...

I went off on a tangent and forgot the subject of dreams! I don't remember having them when I was pregnant, but I have had tons since the kids were born. They always start off normal; I'm doing something that I would have done pre-kids, like going to the beach or mall. It's like my subconscious interjects as says, you know, you have kids now, right? Then I go into panic mode trying to find them.

blog author said...

i'm convinced you're having a boy too. i just think that's what you're destined for... but, if it's a girl, man oh man, is she gonna be beautiful :) (the boy would be too, but with you and TGD's great hair, she'll be a looker for sure).

as for the dreams, i had those after i got engaged. they freak you out.

m2k2, what a horrible experience! i'm sure you were beside yourself.

Femme au Foyer said...

M2K2--I feel better already for all the things I may do to my children in the future. Glad to know that I am not the only one who has the capacity to unwittingly inflict major harm on my children. I can just imagine how you must have felt when you saw that car seat carrier *upside down* in a puddle!!!

Mel, you're a sweetheart. I hope Little Husband looks like, well, a little version of husband. And since children often outgrow their parents by an inch or so, this kid's gonna be AT LEAST 6'3".

Unless he's the unluckiest kid in the world. In that case he's going to be 5'3" since that's what it will take to outgrow me.

Katie said...

Ok, m2k2's story made me feel SO much better about today. We had just driven 5 hours from McAllen into Austin and were are the vet picking up Jenny. Since Will was going stir crazy from being in the car the entire 5 hours, I decided to let him get out of his carseat while Chris got the dog. (I feel so stupid for even having done this.) I didn't want Will to run all over the parking lot, so I sat him in the front seat of the car and the door was open. I knew that it wasn't safe, but he was busy playing with a toy and didn't think that he'd try to get off of the seat. Even if he did, I was RIGHT THERE and wouldn't even let him move an inch, right? Right. Until Chris came out with the crazy dog and I realized that I couldn't find his keys. I left Will by himself for 10 seconds so that I could search my purse and pockets. In the longest 10 seconds of my life, while my hands were occupied Will caught sight of Jenny and lunged forward. Right out of the car. Landing on his face.

Boy, was he pissed. For about a full minute he was furious, but then he realized that he was missing out on precious dog terrorizing time and got over it. I am still cringing!

I will have to think of some of the insane pregnancy dreams that I had. They were so vivid that I would wake up so upset at Chris, but could never really remember why...

My point is,

Katie said...

Oops... I meant to delete that last line. I didn't really have a point but will try to think of some dreams that I had.... they were crazy!!!

K said...

It's a good thing kids/babies are resilient. It's like being given a mulligan!

Femme au Foyer said...

Thank goodness! M2K2, I'm still laughing (and shuddering) at your story about Kessie-Kess. I can imagine your horror!

Katie, thanks for sharing this. I now know exactly who I will call when I commit the same sorts of crimes. Because I will. That's a guarantee.