Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's Tummy Time!

Today, Little Husband was cleared by the cardiologist to get started again on Tummy Time. Here's how Tummy Time goes in our house: I place Little Husband on the floor and he lays there with his face mashed into the floor, pathetically crying and gnawing on the carpet as if the wool fibers are the only only meal he's had all day. At no point does he make an attempt to lift his head or do the proverbial "push-up" which, to my understanding, is the whole point of Tummy Time. Then, if that doesn't garner any sympathy, he'll start crying, then screaming like he's being branded with a red-hot cattle prod.

In essence, Little Husband found a way to render Tummy Time completely ineffective.

Out of desperation (why does it seem like everything I seem to do these days is prompted by desperation?) I did some research and found an inventive way to get Little Husband to cooperate during Tummy Time.

Old Tummy Time:



New Tummy Time:



He loved it and spent a whopping ten minutes on that ball, lifting his head, doing push-ups and just generally allowing me to roll him all around. I'm sure he'll catch onto me and renew the protest, but I've got a plan: once the novelty wears off I'll just pour a few drops of Sweetease on the ball and let him lick away!

7 comments:

blog author said...

oh how fun!! i wonder why he likes that? is it bc he's up higher and can look around maybe? either way, totally cute! and wasn't Desperation the mother of invention? or was that Necessity? Either way, do what it takes girl!

Katie said...

What a good idea! Who doesn't like lying on a balance ball? I'm totally copying your idea, by the way.

Femme au Foyer said...

I like boucning around on a balance ball as well! Remember Hippity Hops? Why don't they make those in my weight class?

Anyway, in the interest of full disclosure I did not come up with the idea of doing tummy time on an exer-ball. I stole it off a chat board.

Rosie's Sister said...

I wish they made Big Wheels in adult size too.

K said...

That is hilarious!! Congratulations! small victories are what you live for!

R said...

Hippity hops are awesome, I have tried to use the kid sized ones, and they are a great workout but still a bit too small. He looks so cute on the ball :O)

Jo said...

Too funny! I wish I would have known about this before cause Maddie was the same way as LH - she would cry and mash her face into the carpet during tummy time.

Hang in there, as he gets stronger he'll start to enjoy it more and more. One push up at a time... :)

And have I mentioned that he is totally adorable, but I'm sure you already know that!