Sunday, February 22, 2009

Motherly Guilt

I was just reading a blog where a mother was asking a question in relation to motherly guilt and I decided I could expand on the topic in today's post.

Children's Hospitals, no matter how many trains are running through the lobby or how brightly painted the hallways are, can be places of intense loneliness. "You would be amazed," my favorite nurse told me, "at how many people drop their sick children off at the hospital and never visit them."

How on earth can a mother worth her salt do that to her child? If I so much as leave the room for one second to go ask the nurse something, Little Husband senses my absence, bolts awake and starts screaming as if he's going through another open heart surgery minus the anesthesia. (Yes, my kid is spoiled but we'll fix that later.)

I first witnessed this phenomenon in the ICU in Houston. They ran out of rooms so LH was put in a room with a tiny baby whom I suspect has Down’s syndrome. He was asleep most of the time--I almost never saw him move or open his eyes. He had tubes taped all over his body and wires that led to multiple monitors that were constantly alarming. I noticed, after several hours, that no one ever came to visit him. Clearly he had loved ones as his crib was adorned with toys and balloons, but for the duration of our stay in that room (7 + hours), he was on his own. This was especially heartbreaking when I noticed a movement in his crib and looked over to see that he was crying – silently because he had a tube going down his throat – with all his might. His tiny little fists flailed in the air and his head shook from side to side, but no one was there to calm him and I couldn’t do so because the nurses would have killed me. I did the only thing I could think to do: I sang a lullaby which I directed at Little Husband but was meant for him. I’ll never forget that sweet little baby crying for a mother who wasn’t there to comfort him.

After we moved over to the Dallas hospital I shared that story with my favorite nurse. A shadow passed behind her eyes as she commented, “You wouldn’t believe the parents who drop their kids off here and never visit them. It’s heartbreaking and it happens all the time. We have volunteers who come in and visit the kids, but it isn’t enough as they don’t work the weekends. These poor kids go without a visitor the entire weekend. The nurses try to keep them company but we still have to do our jobs and sometimes the parents complain when we bring the kids out to the nurses’ station and play with them.”

“I don’t suppose I could go into their rooms and just talk and hang out with them for a bit…” I began. She shook her head sadly, “No, I’m afraid that’s against hospital policy and privacy restrictions.”

I vowed right then and there to volunteer at our local children’s hospital once Little Husband was enrolled in preschool.

A few nights later I was chatting up the ICU nurse and the topic of parents who don’t visit their children came up once again. The nurse told me, with tears welling in her eyes, how a little, tiny baby girl had been taken off life support just the day before. Not one single family member or friend cared enough to show up at the hospital and say goodbye to her. This poor little baby had to make the transition into her next life with just the hospital personnel by her side.

Yesterday, my favorite nurse and I were chatting again and I told her what happened in the ICU with the baby girl. Again a shadow passed behind her kind eyes and she told me this story:

Favorite Nurse had a patient who had been in and out of the hospital throughout his teen years because he was morbidly obese and his heart just couldn’t handle the strain (he was approximately 400 lbs). In fact, his mother passed away a few years prior from the same sort of thing. This boy desperately needed a heart transplant but he wasn’t a viable candidate for one due to his weight. The hospital tried over the years to control his diet but every time he was discharged and went back home, he’d revert to his old habits and regain all the weight. When he was 17 his heart was in such bad shape that he was admitted to the ICU. No one visited him, not even his father. The hospital called Favorite Nurse at home and asked her to come in and stand by his bedside, but by the time she got there he had passed away (she missed him by minutes). This poor boy was all alone with no one there to say goodbye to him and tell him that he would be missed. I cannot begin to imagine how unloved he must have felt.

This morning we had to take Little Husband down to radiology for an x-ray. In the waiting area there was a man with his four year-old son. The little boy was engrossed in the cartoon as his dad and Favorite Nurse conversed. It turns out that this little guy was on his second heart transplant. It turns out that his first transplanted heart was found to be “as hard as a walnut” when they performed the second transplant surgery. The doctors commented that this little boy should have died. The father laughed and said, “It was amazing—we had no idea that anything was even wrong with him! He was still running all over the place and full of energy up until it was time for the new transplant!”

After he left, I turned to Favorite Nurse and said, “I wouldn’t last a day working here.” Then I let the tears fall.

“I know,” she said, “It’s tough. But then you see parents like that and it makes it all worthwhile. That little boy survived on a bad heart because he has such strong, loving, devoted parents. Their strength makes him strong.”

Then she looked directly at me, “And that’s how I know that Little Husband is going to do just fine.”

This changed my perspective on motherhood. For instance, tonight my little family of three hung out in our hospital room joking and laughing and loving on one another. “We’re probably spoiling Little Husband by letting him sleep on us all the time,” I informed Husband. “I’m not worried about it,” he responded, “we can worry about all that after he’s healed. For now, I’m holding him whenever he needs me to.” I agree.

There are so many sources out there (books, friends, doctors, family) who make you feel guilty—like you’re spoiling your child—by giving them too much love and attention. I’ve decided that there’s no such thing. From what I’ve seen, when you are doing everything you can to love on and protect and comfort your baby, you’re doing just fine. In fact, you’re perfect.

12 comments:

R said...

Excuse me while I dust off my soapbox real quick...
As a former preschool teacher and current nanny, I see this sh*t all the time. Why is it so hard to take one hour out of some peoples "busy" day to go see their child???????? We would have Father's Day stuff at school when I taught and I would say roughly one third of the father's wouldn't bother to come- a meeting they had to attend or no excuse at all even though they had MONTHS of advance warning. Some mothers would pull this crap too. The worst- a family had two boys, one in elementary school who would come to day care after and the other just a baby. The mother would drop baby off as soon as the doors opened at 7am, and wouldn't pick up until 6:30pm (we would see her sit in her car sometimes, waiting until it was almost 6:30). She was constantly guilty of bringing them in sick too. Other parents had our school number on block so that they couldn't be harassed should their kid be sick and need to be picked up. Current family- Dad goes away for the weekend with one child recently, comes back and an hour later is off to work. How about staying home with your other kids for the day for once??? And that isn't the first time he's done that. I'm sure I'm repressing other memories of people guilty of this stuff.

On the flip side, I have seen some parents that are *too* involved (flipping out because their kid fell, thinking everyone else's kids are not as special as their child so their kid shouldn't be treated by the same rules as all the "rest"). To avoid that, it's merely a matter of the parent being self-aware and taking a deep breathe so they can step back to let the kid grow on their own. It's okay to spoil a little, it's just not okay to let a kid think they're the master of everyone.

blog author said...

i had no idea that people would NOT care about their child. especially in a situation where the child is near death. how horrible and ... i dont know, i can't think of an adjective awful enough to put there. it's heartbreaking. i can't even imagine.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thats pretty intense. When I started reading your blog, my first thought was "Perhaps the childs parents HAVE to work. Not everyone is lucky to have healthcare insurance or an understanding employer on top of that not all employers offer FMLA and your job would be protected. BUT that doesn't excuse them from not seeing their child after work if that is the case. We don't know the situation 100% but I know that if Little Bear was at the hospital I would make sure that I or someone I trust would be with him so he wouldn't be alone. I am very lucky where I have lots of family and wonderful friends in the area.
As for letting your child go to heaven by themselves is very heart breaking. The only positive side is you know they are with God and HE loves them with no doubt.

Anonymous said...

One more thing. As for spoiling. I don't think there is such a thing for the age LH is at. I think the books, friends, family, etc are just a guide. I think as time goes by it may be harder to get out of the habit. For instance the sleeping in bed with parents. I don't know of any teenager that still sleeps in their parents bed. I think its just easier to do it early b/c you'll have other things to overcome such as potty train, and learning the word "NO" so do what you think and feel is right Femme. Love your child and you can't go wrong with that. Love you girl.

R said...

Oh yeah, just want to add- I thought parents not coming to school to spend time with their child was horrible, not going to see their sick and/or dying child is infinitely worse. And to add to another person, spoiling LH right now is quite alright.

Katie said...

I can't believe that anyone could leave their child alone, sick, in the hospital.. it's just way way way beyond me. I don't think that I would last a day in those nurses' shoes. I'm pretty positive that I'd be fired the first time I encountered people like that. Well, that or I'd end up adopting so many kids that I couldn't afford to work anymore.

You are such a fantastic mother, LH is so incredibly lucky to have you. (So is Husband, for that matter!)

Tobacco Brunette said...

Oh god, Femme. I know what you're talking about. There was a five-month-old who was in the ICU room next to us the whole time Owen was in his. His parents were RARELY with him. I knew his last name, because the monitor in Owen's room would split to show the little guy next door's stats when the nurse was in our room. The day before we left ICU, the little boy was gone. His parents showed up to see him, finally, and didn't even know he'd been moved to the regular cardiac floor - and they laughed when they found out he was gone! What is funny about that?

Then, when we were moved to the regular cardiac floor, there was a little guy who was alone almost the entire time. He had a feeding tube and would cry when he got feedings. When nurses would come do sticks or flush his IVs he would scream bloody murder - and he had NO ONE with him. I would peek in at him, and he'd by lying in his little crib, playing with his wires with one hand and sucking on his other hand so loudly that we could hear it in our room. He'd cry at night all alone...Then I overheard a nurse use his last name and it was the same boy who was alone in the ICU. I still think about him all the time - it just bothers me so much. It was so upsetting. He was still in the hospital when we got discharged and I just wanted to go back and take him home with us when he was ready to be released. It was SO heartbreaking.

I'm glad you guys are out of the hospital and I hope everything goes well on Thursday.

XOXOXOX

kay said...

amen rose.

i'm astounded that this happens!! wtf????!! i don't even know what to say.

and fyi both of my kids slept on my chest until they graduated to the bassinet, right next to my bed, until they were almost 2 months old. and i still to this day snuggle with my 13 year old. you know my kids. are they spoiled? NO!! but you know what? they KNOW they are loved beyond anything they could say or do. little husband is going to grow up to be a fine, confident, loving, husband and father. you hold that baby anytime and all the time. and screw what other people tell you.

love you!

Anonymous said...

This is my first time at your website, but I can see that I'll be back. I want to know more about your story and about Little Husband. I can't even begin to imagine being a child whose parents didn't care enough to stop by the hospital.

Thank goodness for parents like you.

K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K said...

I think you might have just accomplished your New Year's Resolution. Spending time with lonely, sick babies would be a wonderful way to put your stamp on the world.

This makes me so sad.

deanna said...

How incredibly tragic those stories are.......I'm just beside myself with shock and sorrow for those children.

I'm so glad LH has you to love him through his recovery. He's a lucky little boy, indeed.