Monday, August 23, 2010

101

101 is the temperature outside. 101 also happens to be number of days that I am pregnant. Our Brookstone Wireless Weather Forecaster tells me that it "feels like 106 degrees". I wouldn't know; I've been staying indoors.

Unlike my last pregnancy, I don't find myself consumed by thoughts of this baby. In fact, much of the time I completely forget that I am pregnant. I'm not really showing (although in my honest opinion I think I look like I'm getting a beer belly) (husband disagrees but that's because he's sweet). If I lay down I don't look pregnant at all which, in my opinion, is a pretty good argument for laying around the house all day (husband also disagrees). I'm in the second trimester so I no longer have that pesky nausea that plagued me during weeks 8 and 10. I still have my maternity clothes from last time so I'm not worried about finding things that fit. In truth, most of my thought process surrounds Little Husband. I know this will change when baby #2 arrives, but still it's a little disconcerting.

Of all the weird things to worry about, I worry that I won't love baby #2 as much as I love Little Husband. Why is that? Do I not think I'll have enough love to go around? One of my more experienced friends told me to think of it this way: my love won't be divided, rather, it will multiply. That gave me some measure of comfort.

Still, just the thought of giving birth and spending a few days and nights away from Little Husband makes me sad. I've spent a few days away from him before and it was no big deal for either party, but for some reason this seems different. I will greatly miss reading him bedtime stories and tucking him in at night. As odd as it is to say, I feel like I'll be cheating on him. I know this will all iron itself out in time, but for now this is honestly how I feel. Perhaps I can read his bedtime stories to him over Skype. Not to boast, but no one reads "Barnyard Dance" like me, in fact, if you can't give me a "barnyard beat", you're not a contender. You should hear my "cock-a-doodle-doo" when I read, "Mr Brown Can Moo--Can You?". No wonder Little Husband doesn't know what an inside voice is!

For the record, I think I'm having a girl. We've already had a few sonograms and each time I beg the sonographer to see if she can determine the sex but the baby is just too small. Our next appointment is 10 days away at which time I will be almost 16 weeks pregnant. I am hoping at that time that we'll know what we're having. In truth, I hope it's another boy. Nothing would make me happier than having two little wild Indians running around the house. Naturally a girl would be wonderful too. Above all, I just pray that this baby is healthy.

6 comments:

K said...

Hi!!! I should have checked your blog before I responded to your email!

Don't worry about loving #2 as much. It's just like having #1 --people can try to explain all the emotions until they're blue in the face, but you really don't get it until you experience it. That's what will happen when #2 comes along. It's really a whole different experience because so much of the first pregnancy was dealing with the unknown. Now you know what to expect. The emotions will be just as intense, but in a different way. Again, words can't describe it so I'll stop trying! :)

I miss you!

blog author said...

hey girl - i don't have any words of wisdome for you as I haven't been in that position, but I can totally see where you're coming from. You have this really strong bond with T now, and don't see how that will ever change. I'd be a little afraid of that too. But I think Kelly is right in what she's trying to say. I mean, you're one of 7, and I'm betting your mom had tons of love to go around to each and every kid. :)
You're such a great mom. And now that you have almost 2 years of experience under your belt, just imagine how great you're gonna do with baby #2! :)

The Life of Blights said...

You are hilarious. I can just imagine your animal noises while not using your inside voice:) hahahaha! Glad you're feeling better!

Tara said...

All these things you are thinking are the very same ones I was thinking when I was pregnant with #2. In fact, I bitched and moaned and snarled about my second pregnancy so much that I have started to compose a post to make sure everyone knows how much I am truly in love with my new son - because I don't think I've actually said anything about liking him yet on my blog!


I was worried about not loving him as much as I love #1, and admittedly it didn't come instantaniously. But it came, and now it's just overflowing.

I also was secretly hoping for a girl because that's what I already had and loved and knew and I thought it would make it easier if I had another. But I'm so glad he's a boy and he is who he is.

It'll all work out. You'll feel the love and you'll be happy. You already know that, I know - but it doesn't hurt to hear it from someone who is "living the dream"... haha...

TB said...

WOW! I'm really behind...how are you doing? Is it a BOY?

I think all the things your feeling are pretty normal - not that that's any consolation. I too can't imagine loving a future baby as much as I love Owen, but I also couldn't fathom the depth of what I'd feel for Owen until I saw him, so....I guess it figures itself out?

Hope you and baby are doing well!

sam said...

Congratulation
Great Post KEEP IT UP
I've been using HOME CHECK OVULATION TEST KIT for a long time and I still get butterflies when that little smiley shows his face. :) I got one from the internet by searching on Google HOME CHECK OVULATION KIT it was great!